Sunday, November 2, 2008

The View from My Window

The view from my window is well-busy. The last of the autumn leaves are making their way to the ground and the air is oh so much chillier. We finally had to turn on the heat-we always try to get to the the end of October, but alas, Old Man Winter wore us down again this year.
I have been sewing the woodland creatures for Ava's first birthday. First came a little owl. The idea struck me in the middle of the night, as usual. Ava's favorite creature so far seems to be an owl, so I thought it fitting for her to have some of her own. A wild owl would be too hard to tame and feed, and I don't think it would be right to have a real owl of course, they belong in the wild. I didn't even look for a pattern, I just went wild and as a result, the owl has a crooked shape and a slant to his stature. I like to think of it as a touch of whimsy, not a lack of planning on my part.
While pondering life on the top of the wood pile, Owly thought it was time that he have a nice little family...
So I obliged and whipped up a little family for him. I stuffed their little feet with dry split peas so they could stand on their own. I think all creatures like to stand on their own, don't they?!? I know I do.
But alas, this little Owly family was homeless in a sense. Out of place in the kitchen, too cold outside on the wood pile...They needed a home, a proper home for an owl family.
I had to make a hollow stump for the owlies to live in. Now that they are snug in their home, awaiting the big day they will be adopted by a little one year old girl, I can move on to a few other projects... A Christmas gift scarf, lined with sumptuous Prussian blue T-shirt material...
Ava's birthday fairies... I am happy I collected the maple tree seeds for wings in July for this project-there are none to be had now!
I have some birthday planning to do, some recipes to research and some serious house cleaning to attend to-and I feel more like sneaking off to bed, under the down comforter at 6:30 at night, with a juicy new magazine. I must push through the first days of daylight savings-always a tough transition. If anyone out there has sunlight past 5 p.m. please send some our way!

3 comments:

Philigry said...

i love all of your projects! I can't believe she is going to be one in a few days!

Meggie said...

What a cute idea for maple seeds! I never would have thought!! Ava will love the owl family and the fairies. You've been a very busy Mom, as usual. No, we have no extra daylight here in PA either. I feel like a bear at this time of the year. I want to curl up on the sofa and sleep until next spring....except when it's time to ski!

Ebeth said...

I love the little fairy mobile!!!!-