Saturday, October 18, 2008

Maine Island Wedding-Part Two

We were also guests of the wedding on Peaks Island, the bride and groom being old friends of ours, and the groom was in Chris' last band. So back on the ferry we went, this time without the car but with Chris and a bit prettier than the day before.
The wedding was great fun and we saw many folks whom we hadn't seen in a while-it was good to see people from our "old" life.
I must admit I enjoyed donning a gold strappy heel, a sparkly necklace and floaty gold silk shirt for the occasion. It sure sassed up my usual jeans or yoga pants with tank and sweater uniform! I felt the vestiges of my old self sighing with relief and glee, every time I glanced down at my sparkly shoes. "I am still in here!" she whispered...
The tent was cozy and warm when the sun went down and all the candles were lit. Ava stayed up late and enjoyed playing peek -a -boo with a dinner napkin and her aunties and uncles. Chris may have had a bit too much to drink, but I don't think anyone noticed but me.
We raced to catch the 7:40 p.m. ferry back to the main land in order to get Ava to bed at a somewhat reasonable hour. This time we stood outside on the ferry, with Ava all bundled up in a fleece cape and hat, me with my scarf and Chris handsome in his wool suit. We watched the night water slide by, Ava looked up and caught sight of the moon, for the second time in her life. She started shaking and frantically grunting to us. "Mooo!" she squealed, pointing to the sky. Her third official word, we'll count it. "Yes, that is the moon" we replied. Ava's moon.
We changed her into her jammies back in the parking garage at the ferry terminal-before I could even buckle her into her car seat, she was fast asleep.

1 comment:

Philigry said...

oh, that sounds like so much fun. i am glad you got to wear a sexy heel!