Saturday, November 21, 2009

Timeless Flowers for a Photographer Friend

I was recently asked to create a floral arrangement for a photographer friend's table at a wedding show. I always love to do these small, creative jobs, but also always feel nervous! I want to be sure the flowers represent the vendor well, that they speak to their brand and accentuate, not compete with, the other materials and work on display. Melissa's brand colors are pale pink and light charcoal-y gray...I wanted to incorporate a "timeless" feel...a word Melissa used in a recent meeting with me that resonated and stuck with me. Who knew that one word would inspire her arrangement?!? I also wanted texture, something vintage feeling and well, timeless. This pepper berry really made me swoon when I saw it at the flower market-and I always love a little wild, unstructured element in flower arrangements... I used Majolika roses... Hydrangea that I hand painted a light pink-yes it can be done!
Star of Bethlehem-again, hand tinted to be softer, not so white...
Queen Anne's Lace (or Cow parsley, depending on where in Maine you are from!), seeded eucalyptus and even a few carnations for a vintage feel...I love ordinary things used in unexpected ways... I have a collection of props from my travels, weddings, scavengings, garage and estate sales, flea market raids and such-any of you who know me, know about THE garage...I rustled out a vintage silver leaf pedestal vase from the prop stash, but it needed something more...
Something that felt old, that had a story, a little accessory if you will!
I have been saving this little Cameo pin for a long time. I might have actually worn it about a decade ago, and I knew it would have another chance in the spot light...a little quilt binding, gros-grain pink ribbon and a black and white Cameo brooch? Just the timeless thing.

1 comment:

emilie said...

Love this. Simple, soft, vintage and, yes, timeless.