Sunday, January 4, 2009

Final Bow

I have been very sad about a family death we recently had. On the Sunday before Christmas, my beloved Grandfather Ed passed away. I have been wanting to write about him, but needed some time to process and be distracted by the somber bustle of Christmas. It doesn't seem to soothe me that it "was time" and that he was ill and "ready". I miss him. I really missed his laugh at Christmas, I missed seeing my husband sitting next to Grandpa Ed, both eating way too many mixed nuts and sipping on too-stiff rum cocktails. I miss how Ed's whole face lit up when he saw you come into the room. I admired how he loved his family and friends and was always up for a project. What a dear man. I can't shake my sadness-I feel as though he is still here, but I just can't see him.
I am grateful for the many years I had with him, and that he was with us during some big milestones in our lives-graduations, when we bought our first house, our wedding, the birth of our first child, the growth of us grandchildren. What a great man, with great generosity, a great sense of humor, real compassion, and a work ethic that never quit. He always made me feel welcome and comfortable and he will be dearly missed. We love you Gramp Ed, you are in all of us.

3 comments:

Philigry said...

love you!

kaetrn said...

i am so sorry sweetie...obviously he was really important to you and you loved him so much. you'll be in my prayers...

Ebeth said...

I'm so sorry to hear this....you are on my mind.