Saturday, December 20, 2008

Ray of Light

I was so delighted to receive a box from my mother yesterday. I couldn't wait to open it. Literally, couldn't wait. And didn't wait. Christmas day will be particularly busy with two ten person meals and a one year old and what not. I am an adult and I finally decided that it is okay to open a present or two, early. Okay, I forgive myself.
What I found inside the box was a ray of light, that made my heart sing. A stack of pinwheels made by one of my grandmothers and assembled by her mother, my great grandmother in the thirties. Sadly, or fortunately, however you look at it, the quilt was not finished before Great Grandma Bess and Grandmother Virginia passed away. Now I have inherited the pristine collection and am thinking of what to do with it.

I spent several hours hand washing and ironing each square and triangle. At first I thought I should complete the quilt, as there is a large section of the quilt already started. But I am leaning toward sharing some of the squares with some special people in my life and making something else with with the other pieces, as the idea comes to me. I like the idea of sharing some of these almost 80 year old treasures with the people who are treasures in my life today. Friends who would really appreciate them and make something of special magnificence from them.

Yes, I think I will share the light with others. I can't wait to see what becomes of these squares, hand sewn from 2 ladies almost 76 years ago.

I will be taking a few days off from writing, we have so many crafts, recipes, cleaning projects and other holiday preparations to make-we will be burning the mid night oil. Here we are last night, in a whirl of activity, my husband near me, but transparent in his movement-the kitchen trashed and a gazillion peanut butter kisses are now born unto the confectionery earth, to be enjoyed by our family and friends.

I hope you all have a merry and bright holiday with your friends and family as well.

2 comments:

Philigry said...

i love this pictue of you guys in your kitchen. I hope you are doing well today. I will be dropping off your gifts tomorrow....
shannon had her babe! It is a boy! Abel Jonah, 7lbs, 14 ounces 21 inches long. she had him at home.

Anonymous said...

I just had a lovely interlude, sitting in the sunshine in my office, reading this blog and eating my lunch. Your writing is wonderful and so are the pix. It was so nice seeing you on New Year's Eve. Oh all my little girls are so grown up...

Karen