Friday, September 19, 2008

At Last!

Okay, I admit, I have put down the cardigan for a bit. I really just felt like I needed to complete something first. Yes, complete something before I complete the cardigan. To build my confidence. Then, I promise, I will finish the sweater. Right after I finish the hat I just started. Yes, the second hat...But it was really cold here last night. Winter is really coming-haven't you heard?!? And my daughter does not have a suitable winter hat. Not one that meets her high style requirments and my airtight requirments anyway.
I spent a luxurious afternoon nap time outside, knitting, for one last warm autumn afternoon. These are the last hours of the flip flop days for 2008.
Ava slept for 3 hours-which gave me some really good headway.
I was fueled by the delight and pride of finishing my first knit garment. I stayed up until 1 a.m. last night to finish it. Well I only had 18 rows left-how could I have fallen asleep when I was so close to finally completing a knit item? My first-after months of trying!
At 1:20 a.m. I woke my husband. "Can you stand it!?!" I hissed in a whisper, so as not to wake the baby. "Look! It is done-my first hat!" At that time I was actually wearing the hat myself, still blissfully unaware that this meant it clearly would not be the right fit for my 10 month old daugher, for whom it is intended. I was kneeling by Chris' side of the bed, shaking him to awaken.
"What is wrong with you-are you crazy? I have to get up in 4 hours!" he mumbled at me. Then he squinted one eye open. "Great. Pretty. Real pretty" he mumbled and promptly fell back asleep. I could barely wait for the baby to wake up so I could have her try it on.
That is when the trouble started.
And the disappointment.
Mine, not hers. She obviously thought this was a great hat. I stewed.
Would I be able to wear this precious first hat? As a beret perhaps?!?
Would Mr. Rabbit?
Would anyone's head see the inside of this hat?!?
Then a creative and useful solution came to me-which has left me feeling better about the hat than I did when I first completed it. Simply add a fleece lining and some ear flaps! It still needs a chin strap, but I am confident it will work.
False confidence, perhaps, but I need it as I just started another hat in an organic strawberry pink cotton.
Maybe I will finish the cardigan by my November 7th deadline...Just maybe.

2 comments:

Philigry said...

oh, the hat is so cute! she will grow into it. I have done that before and it is so frustrsting! jack's orange sweater fall of his shoulders!
i am so glad you are knitting! it is so much fun! we have to get together to knit while the babes play, then maybe we can venture to the yarn store!

Meggie said...

OMG! I'm reading some of your older posts...and LOL looking at the green knitted hat on Ava...priceless! What a beautiful daughter...and handsome husband. You make a gorgeous threesome!