Monday, September 29, 2008

Nannie's Fresh Apple Cake

This recipe is for Katie, my long time and dear friend. My mother's mother (Nannie) left it with her other recipes when she died. That is one of the few things I took when we cleaned out her apartment. Along with a wedding ring quilt Nannie made and boxes of old photographs, Nannie's recipes make me feel like she is still here. If my memory serves, I was actually at Katie's mom's house when my mom called to tell me Nannie's funeral was scheduled and that we needed to go to Mississippi-right away. Katie and I worked together. I thought I shouldn't leave work. It was Katie who encouraged me to go to Nannie's funeral and I am grateful she did. My mother really needed me that week and though it was a very somber occasion, it gave my sister and I a rare glimpse into our mother's childhood, her Southern roots and her past. We grew up in Maine and both my sister and I live here as adults now, we weren't really exposed to the South and the stories and memories of my mother's childhood. I think the thing I love the most about this recipe is that it is written in Nannie's handwriting. There is even a mis -spelling in it- a little imperfection that makes me smile. Nannie was quite a put together gal and keeping up appearances was an important duty. I keep it in a little plastic pouch for safety in my recipe box. I am happy to share this simple recipe with all of you out there. When you bake it, a little bit of Nannie will live on. Thank you Katie for reminding me of this apple recipe and of Nannie. Enjoy! Nannie's Fresh Apple Cake 1 2/3 cups flour 2 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt 2 eggs 1/2 Cup sugar (white) 1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar 2 tsp vanilla 2 1/2 Cups finely chopped, peeled and cored apples (tart are best, Granny Smith) 3/4 Cups chopped walnuts (optional) Mix flour, baking powder and salt, set aside Beat eggs, sugars and vanilla in a separate bowl until fluffy Add flour mixture to egg and sugar mixture, mix Add apples and 1/4 cup of nuts if using these Pour batter into lightly greased loaf pan, 8" round or small glass baking dish Bake in 350 degree oven 30-35 minutes or until cake peels away from side of pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean Cool 25 minutes, cut into large squares and serve on desert dish (Southern belle!) with ice cream.

1 comment:

Philigry said...

oh yummy. thanks for sharing the recipe. such a sweet story. i love old recipes in different hand writing, and i am so glad that you have this one.
apple cake sounds delicious! I hope you are staying dry.